Thursday, June 4, 2009

It's All about Friendship

The year was 2005; I had just arrived in the United States from the Philippines. I felt so scared and out of place. One of the biggest differences was the weather, it was too cold. The Philippines is a warm place. What scared me was that I didn’t know anyone, but my husband. I felt awkward about how my accent sounded. I never talked to anyone because of my pride. I was afraid I would be laughed at and embarrassed. Then I met a great friend.

Two months after I arrived in Washington, on Christmas day, my husband and I were invited to a party with the people we met at church. That night, I met two more couples; both were mixed, Filipino married to an American. We had fun together singing karaoke, eating and chatting. I was interested talking to a very knowledgeable person that I met that night named Carrie, an American, who is married to a Filipino. She lived in the Philippines for three years teaching school. She was friendly and outspoken. She is short in height with short, burgundy hair. She loves to wear jewelry as both hands are full of accessories. I could tell by her smile and laugh that she was someone I wanted to get to know more.
After two days I was excited because she called me. “Hi, Mei do you want to come over, for dinner, tonight?” she asked.

I answered, “Sure.” Jim and I went and we had a great time with Carrie and her family. She has three children; identical twin girls and a son. We jumped on the trampoline, we baked fish, and we enjoyed chatting and getting to know each other.
After that, we spent New Year’s Eve at their home and this was the beginning of a growing friendship, which continued throughout the years. I remember one day when Carrie called and asked, “Mei, what are you and Jim doing today?”
“Don’t know, what’s up?” I answered.

Carrie said, “Let’s take the kids to the beach and have a barbeque.”
We invited some other couples, loaded the van, and went to the river. We swam with the kids, played with our two big dogs, cooked steaks, and corn on the open fire, and laughed, while having a wonderful time. That was the day our friendship became deeper because Carrie confided in me that she was struggling in her marriage. I learned that forgiveness was very important in relationships.
Since that time, Carrie and I often go out for dinner, to the movies, and visit each other’s home, where we cook Filipino dishes, during which time we tell each other secrets. As often happens in friendships there are times when we don’t see each other for a while because life gets busy; however, friendships built like ours, don’t die. Whenever we have time, we reach out through text to see how the other is doing. Our lives have been fun but filled with difficulties. Carrie has been there for me throughout some rough times.

I remember one day when my husband and I had an argument which lead to a huge fight. I had to leave to unwind and release the anger that I was holding inside. I don’t have any relatives here to stay with and the only person I could think to call was Carrie. I dialed her number and cried out to her for help. She was concerned with my trembling voice and when I finally told her all the details, I asked, “Carrie is it ok if I stay at your place?”
She quickly replied, “Just pack your clothes and come over.” She is very welcoming. I stayed with her for two weeks.

Living under one roof with Carrie reminds me of my family back home. She treats me like one of her own family. Even though we don’t have the same culture, we get along really well. She is a perfect friend because she respects me, listens to my opinions, and I can always count on her; moreover, she is very knowledgeable about many things. For example: she has given me many tips about the English language, she taught me how to cook and bake American food. I can ask her any question about anything, and she always finds me an answer; furthermore, she taught me a lot of lessons; I learned how to stand up for myself, and I got rid of my attitude about being shy. There are many other things I have learned from her, and I believe I have taught her important things as well.

Carrie and I have enjoyed each other’s company ever since we first met. We always stick together, in good times and bad, and we never get into arguments. Having a great friendship is all about taking care of each other and being loyal, and learning when to laugh and cry together. Carrie is that kind of a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment